- Tummy bugs are extremely common in young children and are almost always caused by a virus
- They are easily spread, resulting in outbreaks in nurseries and schools.
- Diarrhoea can often last between 5 – 7 days and stops within 2 weeks. Vomiting usually stops within 3 days. If your child continues to be ill for longer than these periods, seek advice.
- Severe diarrhoea and / or vomiting can lead to dehydration, which is when the body does not have enough water or the right balance of salts to carry out its normal functions. If the dehydration becomes severe it can be dangerous.
- Children at increased risk of dehydration include:
- young babies under 1 year old (and especially the under 6 months)
- babies born at a low birth weight and those who have stopped drinking or breastfeeding during the illness
- children with faltering growth