A child's health and education can suffer if they do not have a safe warm home.
No one wants to live in a damp, mouldy or cold home.
More information on housing can be found below.

Everybody should have a safe place to live. It is a basic human right. However, we know that there are thousands of children across the UK who do not have this. You don’t have to be living on the street to be considered homeless. Some families live in temporary accommodation, with friends or sofa surf whilst others live in fear of losing their home.

If you are homeless or at risk of homelessness:

  • Speak to your local council as soon as possible. 
  • If you are struggling to pay rent speak to your landlord or letting agent as soon as possible
  • Speak to your social worker if you have one
  • Make a list of people you trust who you could stay with if you had to
  • Pack what you need e.g. warm clothes, phone charger, medication and I.D

If the council agrees that you are eligible then it must offer you accommodation. This is likely to be temporary accommodation. If you turn down an offer of temporary accommodation, the council may refuse to offer you anything else. In general it is best to accept it and challenge it later, unless you are at risk of harm there.

Where can I get help?

If you are in immediate danger, dial 999 and speak to the police.

Childline - if you are a child in need of help or call free on 0800 1111

Centrepoint - they offer advice and support for young people in England aged 16 - 25. Call free on 0808 800 0661 (Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm).

Shelter - Support and advice if you are homeless, have nowhere to stay tonight, are worried about losing your home in the next 2 months or are at risk of harm. Call free on 0808 800 4444.  (Monday to Friday, 8am to 8pm and Saturday and Sunday 9am to 5pm).

Citizens Advice - Get advice about housing, your homeless application and how to challenge the council’s homeless decision. Call the national advice line on 0800 144 8848.

Duty to refer

Some organisations such as hospitals and social workers have a duty to refer anyone who is homeless or at risk of becoming homeless within the next 56 days.


Children living in a damp home are up to 3 times more likely to have breathing problems. The most common cause of damp is condensation. Condensation happens when water in the air comes into contact with a cold surface e.g. wall or window.

Sometimes damp/mould happens when a house needs repairs e.g. a leaking pipe. First try to find out what is causing the damp and fix the problem. You may need advice from a damp specialist or a builder.

Tips to reduce damp in your home:

  • Dry clothes outside or use a vented tumble dryer
  • Keep lids on pans when cooking
  • Use an extractor fan when cooking or showering
  • Keep the kitchen or bathroom door closed and open a window so that moist air goes outside
  • Let fresh air circulate by leaving a gap between walls and furniture
  • Heat your home a little more if possible as very cold rooms are more likely to get damp or mouldy. It helps to keep your home above 15 degrees
  • Wipe down damp windows with a cloth and wring it out (don’t dry it on a radiator)
  • Open bedroom windows for 5-10 minutes every morning
  • Insulate your home e.g. your loft
  • Draft proof your doors

Damp can cause mould to grow on the walls. Mould is a type of fungus. Mould produces spores which your child can breathe in. This may worsen asthma.

Tips for treating mould in your home:

  • Remove the cause of the damp
  • Clean off mould using a mould spray e.g. containing bleach
  • Leave to dry overnight and then spray the area with an anti fungal wash following the manufacturers instructions
  • Redecorate using mould-resistant paint

What to do about damp and mould if you rent

Tell your landlord if you have damp especially if it is affecting your child’s health.

Further information and support:

Advice on condensation, damp and mould from the centre for sustainable energy

Contact Shelter who provide advice on damp in rented homes and what to do if it affecting your health.

You may also be able to get a housing assessment from your local county council.

Advice about mould and damp can be found at Asthma UK. 


Accessibility tools